How to get rid of cellulite fast! Medical and home treatments to reduce the appearance of those ugly dimpled skin on your thighs, bum and abdomen.
Cellulite: it’s what makes us worried to walk around in cute shorts or bikinis, no matter how slim we may be. There are constantly paparazzi photos of stars with cellulite, new products promising blemish-free skin, and articles about ridding your body of this ugly condition. In our modern world that is obsessed with photoshop it’s really easy to forget that normal, everyday people and even those who are famous suffer from this condition alike.
What Is Cellulite?
Cellulite is a harmless skin condition that occurs when fat is pushed against the connective tissue in the skin. When this happens the fat deposits give the skin a dimpled or bumpy look, explaining why a common term for cellulite is cottage cheese skin. Proper medical terms for cellulite include adiposis edematosa, dermopanniculosis deformans, status protrusus cutis and gynoid lipodystrophy.
There are 3 grades of cellulite recognized in the medical field:
- Minor – Grade 1: No visible signs of cellulite are visible but the cells under the skin have started to change.
- Intermediate – Grade 2: Typical cellulite still not present but skin now shows pastiness, dehydration and a lack of normal elasticity.
- Advanced – Grade 3: Skin nows shows typical dimpling and change in texture normally associated with cellulite.
Cellulite is more common in women than men. With both genders cellulite doesn’t usually occur until puberty has been reached. Though cellulite can occur anywhere on the body the most common areas cellulite are the thighs, abdomen and bottom.
Cellulite Fix: As Seen On Better TV
Causes For Cellulite
A common myth behind cellulite is that only overweight people can get the condition. This is simply not true. Even those who are thin and fit can have visible cellulite. There are a surprising number of causes of cellulite. Many times it may be a combination of a few of these causes.
- Unhealthy diet
- Sedentary lifestyle
- Fluctuating hormone levels
- Naturally thin skin
- Genetic history of cellulite
Generally those who are unhealthy, eat an improper diet and spend longs periods sitting or laying down are more apt to develop cellulite. Keep in mind that even if you already are genetically predisposed to having cellulite, these triggers can make your cellulite appear worse.
How To Get Rid Of Cellulite
It’s believed that cellulite affects 1 in 5 with just women alone. If you’ve just found a patch of cellulite or have been struggling with it for years, the following are some medical and at-home methods that can help with reducing the appearance of those ugly dimpled, cottage cheese skin.
- Liposuction: Many people naturally think of liposuction as a solution for cellulite problems. While liposuction isn’t guaranteed to eliminate cellulite as this medical procedure primarily removes fat that is deep under the skin, there have been cases where people who got liposuction did experience some visible reduction in their cellulite.
- Laser Treatment: Laser treatments are more of a new method of getting rid of cellulite. Generally, these light therapies help to melt the fat deposits under the skin in a gentle manner though there are some laser treatments that are mildly invasive. It will typically take a few sessions for you to start seeing improvements in your the appearance of your cellulite. Results are fairly permanent if you also follow a balanced diet and exercise regularly.
- Electric Stimulation: There are a few different types of electric stimulation but one of the most common for cellulite treatment is the microcurrent body treatment. This treatment sends a very low voltage electrical pulse into the body which triggers a natural healing response. This healing response helps reduce cellulite greatly. In most cases you can see results in just 6 to 8 sessions.
- Mesotherapy: This non surgical cosmetic solution is still a relatively new procedure in America but is very popular in Europe. The treatment has been marketed more for reduction of fat and involves administrating multiple injections of FDA approved drugs and vitamins. Though not an ideal treatment for cellulite, there are some good reviews on the process to reduce mild degrees of cellulite.
- Acoustic Wave Therapy: Acoustic wave therapy or AWT is becoming a more popular nonsurgical treatment for cellulite. Similar to laser or microcurrent stimulation, this procedure sends acoustic waves focused on affected body parts to firm up the skin. There have been fairly good results with this method, usually within 3 to 4 weeks but it may not work for everybody.
- Heat Therapy: One way heat therapy is done is with treatment called Velashape. Velashape uses a combination of infrared heat, vacuum suction and radio frequency to reduce the appearance of cellulite from the inside out. It is said that Velashape is deeply relaxing and you will see a difference in your cellulite but the results may not be as great as you would expect.
- Cellulite Creams: One of the most common techniques people use when they have a cellulite issue are creams or lotions. Most store-bought lotions are severely lacking in effectiveness but certain brands like Finulite have products with good reviews. Keep in mind that most of the effective creams will cost a bit and require weeks or even months of use before you really see a substantial difference in your cellulite.
- Massage: Consistent massage can be a great way to reduce the appearance of cellulite over time. Massaging helps boost blood circulation and stimulate flow to sluggish, stagnant areas, and when use in combination with cellulite creams, will help to loosen and break up the fatty deposits that is causing the “dimples” in the skin. Alternatively, for those who likes to be pampered, can also visit spas or licensed masseuses who offer special anti-cellulite massages.
- Dry Skin Brushing: Skin brushing is a wonderful inexpensive way to reduce cellulite as well as other skin blemishes like stretch marks. The dense, firm bristles in these special brushes disrupt the top layer of the skin, almost like a very light scratch, which sends the skin into repair mode. Many people swear by dry skin brushing to improve cellulite and the overall appearance of the skin.
- Exercise & Diet: One of the best ways to get rid of cellulite would be to change your lifestyle. Since, cellulite IS fatty tissue under the thighs and buttocks, so reducing overall body fat through healthy diet and exercise can reduce the look of cellulite dramatically. Start by eating a healthy diet by cutting back on sodium and fatty foods. Keep your sodium levels to no more than 1200mg a day and choose low-fat, healthy options such as lean proteins, whole grains, fruits, and veggies. Begin an exercise regimen that you will stick to. Even just walking will really help but doing 30 minutes workouts that targets the abdomen, butt, thighs and legs can be super effective in eliminating cellulite fast.
Just as with most things in life, prevention is always better than fixing a problem after it had happened. In the case of cellulite, working hard to prevent it can actually mean a huge difference between a bad case of cellulite you can’t fix and a moderate grade 2 case you can live with. The best way of preventing cellulite is also a method of getting rid of it: exercise and a healthy diet.
If your body is in good shape and you only have enough fat to be healthy, your chances of developing bad grade 2 or 3 cellulite is fairly low. Get your body moving as much as you can and try to not sit down or lay down for long periods of time. Fuel your body with a diet that is rich in cellulite busting super foods. Aside from diet and exercise, doing little things to maintain healthy skin such as moisturizing with a high-quality lotion, exfoliating with a skin scrub on a weekly basis and investing in a good skin brush are all ways to help prevent cellulite.
Cellulite can be a big problem for many people but the good news is that you can reduce the appearance of it. As with many issues in our lives, our lifestyle and health has a lot do with the severity of cellulite. Before diving into any certain products or treatments do plenty of research, consult a doctor and remember to expect realistic results.
Cellulite FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
- I have noticeable cellulite on my thighs and butt. How do I get rid of them completely?
- What are some exercises to help reduce the appearance of cellulite?
- What remedies work to remove cellulite naturally?
- Are there any effective creams that can help get rid, or at least minimize cellulite?
- What changes can I do to minimize or prevent more cellulite?
1. I have noticeable cellulite on my thighs and butt. How do I get rid of them completely?
Doctors have determined that it is nearly impossible to completely rid the body of cellulite. You can, however, reduce the appearance of cellulite.
If you are serious about getting rid of cellulite on your legs and bum, the first thing you should do is change your diet. Eat healthy foods with less sodium and fats. Drink more water to allow for your body to flush out toxins, remove waste, and look hydrated.
Secondly, have good exercise habits. Find a good workout and start exercising 3 to 5 times a week. Not only will you burn and reduce overall body fat, you will also be getting leaner, healthier looking legs as well!
In addition, try not to sit or lay down too much during the day. A sedentary lifestyle can really make cellulite appear far worse.
Start a skin care routine to keep your skin moisturized. Some cellulite lotions have good reviews, and when used together with regular massages around the bum and legs, this combination can help break down cellulite over time and improve the appearance and texture of the skin. If you still have issues with cellulite despite making the necessary changes, contact your doctor and see what medical options might work for you.
2. What are some exercises to help reduce the appearance of cellulite?
The best types of exercise to reduce the look of your cellulite are cardio, pilates, circuit training and short but high-intensity workouts. If you struggle with cellulite on the bum or legs focus on exercises like squats, lunges and jump roping. The trick is working those problem areas, particularly the lower body muscles to reduce the underlying fat. Strength-training (that improves the tone of muscle tissue) and passive exercise like yoga can be beneficial as well.
** Ever wonder why you never see cellulite on a fashion model. Watch and learn about the kick-butt routine to reduce cellulite and keep your rear and thigh sexy and beautiful.
Getting more exercise in your daily life is important for cellulite prevention and there are many little ways you can become more active without even realizing it. For example, you can take the stairs instead of using the lift or you can do more walking when you are running some errands or going for your lunch break instead of driving the car.
3. What remedies work to remove cellulite naturally?
If there is any “beauty remedy” to try, it’s coconut oil! Simply rub the oil on your lower body after a shower and let the moisture bring you to phenomenal legs! Coconut oil can also reduces and prevents stretch marks – so remember to rub some on the next time you are pregnant!
Aside from coconut oil, taking supplements and vitamins is a good idea. Gelatin, omega-3, cod liver oil, and vitamin mixes labeled for skin health are good choices. Homemade skin scrubs with brown sugar or coffee grounds can reduce the appearance of cellulite with regular use. Finally, going through a detox to cleanse the body can also help.
4. Are there any effective creams that can help get rid, or at least minimize cellulite?
There are cellulite creams out there that improves circulation and are effective at reducing the appearance of cellulite overtime. Cellulite creams tend to require daily application for weeks before really showing results. The following creams are some that have good reviews about their effectiveness in terms of fighting cellulite:
- Finulite AM/PM Cellulite Cream
- TriLASTIN-CF Cellulite Firming Complex with Hydro-Thermal Accelerator
One of the best nightly routines to get rid of cellulite is to rub the lotions on your lower body after a shower, have a mug of hot water with lemon, and wear a compression short to bed. All of these decrease water retention, provide your body with much-needed moisture, and make you feel great! If you are heading to the beach the next day and want to look fantastic in your bikini, try this routine the day before!
5. What changes can I do to minimize or prevent more cellulite?
Preventing cellulite has a lot to do with your lifestyle. Reducing sodium and greasy, fatty foods in your diet as well as eating a low-carb diet is a great way to improve your health and change your body to fat burning mode.
Ditch the soda, sugary juice and alcoholic drinks. These drinks can dehydrate the body which is turn affects the skin. Dehydrated, dry skin will make cellulite look worse. Instead, drink more water and guzzle eight 8oz glasses of water (or more!) a day for best results.
Exercise regularly, especially cardio-type exercises. If you’re prone to cellulite because of genetics or lifestyle, you might want to invest in a cellulite cream and use it daily, even after the effects have taken place.